Thursday, May 7, 2009

Quest for the Holy

"All of us, if we only knew it, are on a hunt for the holy, for a life that cannot be reduced to the way we look or what we do or what others think of us. We are sometimes reminded of it by the persistent legends of the Quest for the Holy Grail-- the chalice from which, at his last meal with his disciples, Jesus drank with them the wine that became his promise and command, his life in them. It is the holy cup from which we drink the holy life, the life that Jesus set before us when he said, "I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly." Abundantly... There are numerous variations on the hunt for the Holy-- holy grail, holy places, holy men and women, and perhaps most wonderfully, Holy Scripture... the quest for something other than and more than muscle and money keeps reappearing in unlikely guises. We are after something-- more life than we get simply by eating three meals a day, getting a little exercise, and having a decent job. We're after the God-originated and God-shaped life: a holy life." The Jesus Way by Eugene Peterson

I read that and I thought about the journey we are all embarking on together. It has not been easy for Robin and I so far, and I will tell you it probably won't be easy on you when you get here, but this is a quest worth working for. We are not so much trying to revolutionize church, as to truly BE the church. Unfortunately, the church in the United States has focused on so many things; legislation, programs, socializing, converting nonbelievers, that we have forgotten to BE the church. I think some of those things happen naturally as we are truly being who we are called to be, and some of them may never cross our mind.

I do know that I want us to focus on being the type of church that God desired, a holy church; a church that values black, Asian, Hispanic, white and anyone else that may walk in; a church that has both wealthy and not so wealthy (which we all fall into); a church that helps addicts and that allows addicts to help us (believe me, if you spend some time here at the mission you will learn about honesty and transparency, two things sorely missed in most churches); a church that wants to help people regardless of which sin they struggle with. I think we can be that church. We won't be perfect, but I plan on us being honest. And I plan on us seeking holiness.

One thing I am considering is having everyone else teach a part of the home church segment of our meetings. So, for example, one week I have us discussing Consumerism, the nature of the bible, and Islam. I would like it if I could teach the part about the nature of the bible and allow someone else to teach the other two parts. What do you guys think about that? Does anyone check this anymore? I know its hard for me to update because I know you guys will be here soon and we can talk about it, but I also want to have most of the leg work done when you get here so we can hash out details. Let me know. Pray for us, we are looking for a rent house for this crazy dog and I would like to be home at nights, instead of working.

2 comments:

Grant said...

I check this just about everday. I think we should divy up the teaching load, but I am not pesronally interested in teaching about any of the three subjects you mentioned.

Chris said...

Great! Then tomorrow night I will post the basics of my plan thus far. It is, of course, changeable at this point. There are certain parts that I would like to teach, but the rest I am fine opening up.