Saturday, May 12, 2007

context

something i have been thinking a lot about lately, is that everyone, everything has a context. i know this lady that comes into starbucks fairly often. shes a bit on the rude side sometimes. i have heard she is not a very good sport when it comes to athletic events. so sometimes i am tempted to write her off.
but then i get to thinking. this lady lives in brownwood. not only that, but she is probably nearly forty and single, and no doubt lonely. so when i am tempted to write her off, i realize that she has a few reasons to be a little bitter. now, this doesnt mean she maybe shouldnt be a little more pleasant, or maybe a better sport, but it also means that i should look on her with a grain of salt.

every person we meet has some sort of context. each has hurt, maybe is in the process of hurting, maybe has never felt truly loved. as christians, as the church we have an obligation to see deeper, to really try to see people through the eyes of god, which means that sometimes we have to forgive things before they are asked, and look at people with a graceful eye. what are some ways you have looked on people in an ungraceful way? what are some ways we can cultivate that at our church? how can we forgive people for these shortcomings while at the same time not condoning poor behavior or allowing them to be jerks? what are some other thoughts on this in general?

still, if you have need of prayer, or if there is something you would like to discuss on here, let me know. i am exceedingly excited for what god wants to do in denver, and what he is doing in each of you as we all prepare.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

a long time ago, my mentor told me her slogan for people like you described. i had been really frustrated with one parent of a youth and she told me "look past the anger and see their pain." i have always remembered that. i think that is why we live in such an angry society--its easier to focus the pain into anger and use it as a defense mechanism than be vulnerable and deal with it. when we don't let someone's anger or off-putting attitude stop us from loving them, they notice because that is not normal in an unsympathetic "deal with it" culture. that's where i think relationships can begin and change can occur.

Tyler said...

As I read this and thought of something I could type, the Orc Lady that steals newspaper coupons from Starbucks and gets the latte in a glass cup came into Pecan Valley and talked to me about Starbucks. All she did was bitch about how much Brownwood Starbucks sucks.

I was angry because everyone there... mostly everyone is my friend. But, instead I listened to her and looked at her and thought "she has some problems, and mostly likely is very, very alone." I also remember all the shit I talked about her, and felt pretty awful.

Right then and there I realized what I needed to do... I bitched along with her and apologized for her mediocre lattes. I know that as a follower if Christ giving of myself is so damn hard, having that last witty word is one of the greatest things ever. But, it could single handedly demolish my entire witness.

Robin said...

Mother Teresa has a quote that says something about "Every person you meet is in pain". We just never really know what kind of shape someone's heart is in. I think the only way to really teach someone not to be a jerk is not be one ourselves. Pray for them and with them. And lead by example. Not very profound, just practical.

I have a prayer request... I'm meeting with a V.P. at Baylor on Tuesday (May 22nd) to talk about job opportunites. Please pray the meeting will go well and that God will lead me to a job that will provide for Chris and me. Thanks!