Monday, November 12, 2007

Wisdom

The other day in my Scriptures 2 class we were talking about wisdom, specifically Proverbs. We were talking about how smart everyone in our country is today, but how many problems we have because people do not have wisdom. I think this is a good note for us. We are considering something that is not easy by any stretch of the imagination, something daring and difficult. I think it is extremely important for us to have wisdom.
Back in the day, all the best and brightest got together and discussed the Bible, theology, and God. Now the best and brightest study money, science, and law. Many of them have never sat down and thought about how life works. Many of us have never sat down and thought about how life works. So, I think each post from now on I will include a verse or two from Proverbs. We can either discuss it, or whatever topic happens to have caught my attention lately. Hope that works for you guys. So for today, what do you think wisdom is? Who do you think of when you think of wisdom? Ever had a situation where you needed a lot of wisdom?
Proverbs 18:13 "He who answers before listening-- that is his folly and his shame." Thoughts?

3 comments:

Robin said...

It's funny, because before I even finished reading the post to find out what the proverb was, I was thinking how I ALWAYS need wisdom with my mouth. And then there it was... "He who answers before listening..." Something I am so guilty of, in my daily life.
Who I think of when someone says wisdom is my friend Trissa Cox. Not only an incredibly Godly woman, but one with a tremendous amount of wisdom and grace. Trissa looks at every situation and thinks and prays about how God would want her to handle it. She is very good at taking past experiences and lessons that can only come with age and applying that to her daily life. My words fail me at this time, but Trissa Cox is true wisdom to me.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Chris when you say that there is a lot of wisdom being spoken around us everyday. I just read 1 cor. 1:26-31 and it is so amazing. It says God uses the foolish things of this world to shame the wise(or the cocky people who think they know everything). That passage also has more to it than that but that one part really tells me that we will find true wisdom in the righteousness of God. I also believe God uses people to show his wisdom. For example I just got through reading Shane Claborne´s book and I really think that God has really blessed him with a great deal of wisdom. So like Trissa Cox is true wisdom to Robin Shane claborne portraits true wisdom to me. Also about speaking before we listen is something we as americans are horrible at. I have really been slapped by this here lately. We get ourselves into so much trouble when we forget to truly listen. How else our we going to know what we are to do as a church if we are not listening to God? I have even gotten into the habit of just talking to God and not actually taken time to listen to him speak. That truly sucks! I find myself wondering why God is not talking to me. Well no duh, have i really tried listening lately? Have we taken the time to listen to God or our we too busy trying to tell him what to say? Just some thoughts sorry if I rambled a bit.

Tyler Malone said...

I think the shift in topic reflects the times we live. Today, we are constantly shown polls, attacked with studies, and are open to hearing many different ideas on countless subjects. How are we to be alone with God? When we have 24 hour constant NEWS coverage on the entire fricking planet. Liberty, the environment, the future of America are what people are concerned about; not salvation.

Also, I pretty much reworded Tanner's post. My bad.