Monday, November 5, 2007

Football

One of the real difficulties that many people have had at churches in the United States today is that it seems like ministries are phony a lot of times. "Come on over and we'll do something that no one really wants to do, or thinks is worthwhile, but we will do it because we always have..." This is the attitude we find a lot of times.
Last year, during football season, I started having guys over to watch college football with me. Sometimes they had to endure me yelling and cussing at the TV, others they got to see my jubilation when we won the Big 12 championship. I never intended in the beginning for this to be a ministry, but I think in the long run it turned out to be one, in a way. I was able to make a connection with a couple guys that otherwise I might not have had. They had to see me at my worst, but in the end I was able to convey, hopefully, something of the change that Jesus has been in me. I think God wants us to minister where we are passionate. We can find a connection with almost anyone out there, but I think it should always be genuine. Each of you has something you are passionate about, and something that you can connect with people that maybe the rest of us don't have. What is something that God may want to use in you, to make a difference as we start the "Fancy Walrus" together... I really laughed out loud at that... pretty ridiculous... so what has God made you passionate about that maybe you could share with people that need to be shown God's great love?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Social Justice and photography. There is a guy here in barca who has hung his pics in a local coffee shop and they are for sale for 20 euros. 10 euros of it goes to an organization in Africa that is teaching kids how to read. it is a great idea because he is using his passion to make people aware of what is going on in africa and is also giving to that organization he is also apart of the organization. I have been thinking about how we could do this but take it a step further and challenge people more than to just give money but to take part in getting involved in people's lives in Denver, like with kids in tile 1 schools. We can start a non-profit organization also.

Tyler Malone said...

I do miss the "fellowship" that took place at the Richardson house during football season. What you both said is exactly why I want to do a coffee shop. Get tied into the community and see where God leads me and my coffee shop slaves. I also want to do something, or rip off, the idea of having art for sell. I don't want to hang anything on the walls that isn't locally donated and for sale.

Anywho, Gig'em!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I wonder why God gave me the gift of understanding math. I may or may not end up teaching it in a school one day, but I think it is definitely something I can use for ministry. Showing people Jesus' love through mathematics. There ya go, that's my special talent.

Chris said...

Those are some great thoughts guys.

Tanner: I was just talking to a guy at Truett who wants to have a coffee shop that is also involved in social justice in the area, I want to ask some more of what he plans, cuz I think he has some good ideas.

Tyler: I also miss that fellowship, my couch doesn't as much... I think selling art is a great idea, and probably people in colorado will look at that some. Plus they aren't really in love with corporate america, so they would prob like sticking it to starbucks etc.

Bethany: I have thought a lot about you with some sort of tutoring ministry. I am thinking now of maybe trying to teach once we get there, that would give me a good solid job with some good contacts as well. I am also glad you are good with math, we need people like that. Oh, btw, we are going to be going through the metroplex in the next few weeks, were planning on calling you and Erin and getting lunch or something, we will call and let ya know.

Good thoughts guys.

Anonymous said...

oh wonderful Chris! We would love to see you both!! Definitely call us and let us know!