Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Dreams

One of my ultimate dreams for our church (and by the way we may want to start thinking of a name, to simplify things) is that someday we will have some type of care for single parents, and mothers in specific. I think that this is a group that Jesus would hurt for, and one that all too often our churches have really neglected. I would like to find a way to help with child care, groceries, laundry, emotional injuries, mentoring for boys without fathers, etc. This passion and idea of mine has grown from previous hurts in my life. I realize that this will not be something that we will have at the beginning, and it is not something that will happen overnight. But it is a dream to work toward.
Is there something like that that God has put on your heart? How would you like to work towards that goal? It is important in this whole project to remember that nothing happens overnight, and these ministries will take energy and work. What do you think?

3 comments:

Grant said...

i'd be willing to LEND the name "The Fancy Walrus" to the church until we find a permanent one.

Anonymous said...

HAHA...I like the name. I have been thinking about this idea a lot. I would like to see our church be a community. Not just a thing we go to wednesdays and sundays but an all the time thing. We give our lives too. One way that we will be able to do that is be debt free. I was thinking that if any of us have financial burdens that need to be taken care maybe as a church as a body take that on and help take care of the burden. I really think we will have a hard time being able to completely give ourselves if we our hindered by having to work our tails off all the time to pay off debt. Just an idea. But the whole dream of community and just spending time together and fixing meals together and also just going out and reaching the people in our neighborhood like the single moms and kids without fathers. I want this church to be active in people's lives like Christ was active in the lives of the people around him.

Chris said...

Those are great thoughts Tanner. I am all about being debt free as a church too, one of the reasons America is struggling so much right now is so much debt. That, and not to harp on it, but is something that is going to take time, we will probably all arrive with some at the very least some student loans, but I would love a way to set up maybe something down the road to help new members of our community out of debt, and maybe help them to stay away from debt too.
I really hate the consumerism that permeates our society, and I am guilty of it too, but maybe helping one another to be less consumeristic. Great thoughts Tanner.