Monday, December 17, 2007

Who are we?

I had the great pleasure of seeing some long lost friends this weekend. It was great. We were talking about church, and they were telling us how they are finally at a church that they love, that they believe in. It was great to talk about why.
So one of them was telling us why she loved it so much, and she said some friends had come to visit. She said after the service was over, the friend, who was not a Christian, was telling her how much she loved it. She was just so happy to finally have a church that they didn't have to say "well, look the preaching isn't great, but the music is ok right?" or "Listen, I know the service sucked, but you can really build community here" or anything on those lines. Her new church could represent itself. It was a good community, not perfect, but good, that was capable of making a good impression on people without having to be explained or excused. This is what I hope we can become.
On that note, what are some ideas you have had for a name? We don't have to decide now, but if we could get some of the ideas out there, then maybe we could start to think and pray and narrow it down. Some that I would like to eliminate, not because they are bad, but maybe either over done or just copies: Mars Hill, Grace, 1st Baptist (JK), Agape. I'm sure there are more, I'll post them as a I think of them. Here are some I have either thought of and kind of like or really like: Hesed Community Church (Hesed is the Hebrew word for covenant, love, etc), Refuge, I like Koinonia (Greek for fellowship) but I think it maybe overdone, can't remember more now, but I would love to hear your ideas. And its ok if you hate my ideas, I'm not married to any.
Love you guys, and hope you have a good Christmas, let me know how you are.

No comments: