Sunday, January 6, 2008

Politics

Maybe this will draw Tyler back in... or Brandon. Right now we are in the midst of a huge campaign, the primaries are being decided and such. I personally think that there is no one that we as a church should absolutely support. I think each has some pros and some cons, personally, I really like Barack Obama. But here is what I'm getting at. It is ok if one of you doesn't like him or anyone I do like. I think as a church it is important for us to try to be informed on the issues, to encourage people to vote or to make their voices heard, but also to be sure that we do not try to say that "Jesus would vote for Huckabee" or something foolish like that.

Many have horrible feelings toward church because church often over steps the boundaries and begins to try to elect "God's man" or whatever. I guess, this is kind of hard to get at, what I'm wondering is, what role do you all think we should play in these types of things? Should we try to make all the candidates known, and their stances on issues so that our people can be informed, should we just ignore politics all together? This is complicated, and I don't expect us to figure it out completely, but I do think it is something we should try to come to agreement on. Hopefully we can agree to disagree on candidates, while finding some common ground about how to talk about politics. What do you guys think?

3 comments:

Chris said...

Also, I would love it if you guys that don't live in Waco could come down for a Saturday afternoon or something like that. We could just kind of talk, nothing official, but just see whats going on, talk face-to-face type of thing. You are welcome to come here, we can have dinner and such, so let us know when is a good day, maybe mid February or a little later? Let me know.

Tanner said...

Well this is what I am thinking the moment about politics. I think we need to take an active role in politics like fighting for the least of these the people who get pushed aside and are mistreated. I agree with you chris that we do not need to promote one canidate over the other, but I think we need to be informative on what is going on in politics. That is a touchy subject all around but I think we need to be a voice. Also we need to realize that we can not count on one man being the answer to all the problems in the USA. We need to be active in taking action. We talk alot about what we do not like but do we really try to change things? Just some thoughts I am still working through.

Tyler Malone said...

That's a tough one, it would be hard to not fight or argue (it would be hard for ME not to). Maybe. an open forum between friends? Or, a drunken rant?

I also kind of agree with what Tanner says, while a presidents have carried a country on their backs before the way things now we also need to talk about our local gov'ts; that's where change really starts.