Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Gospel in a Pluralist Society

Hey guys. I finished "unChristian" and really enjoyed it. David, I think I agree with Andy when he initially told me that it really goes well with "They like Jesus but not the Church" by Kimball. I got a bit bogged down in all the numbers Kinnaman had, but I think he has some really great points also. I think the best thing he did was point to such a rampant problem that we as the church in the United States must confront. The book I am reading now has some really good answers to that.

This week I have been reading "The Gospel in a Pluralist Society" by Lesslie Newbigin, he is British so that explains why he misspelled his first name... but anyway it is really good. He is talking about how we can go about telling people in our society that Jesus is the only way. We are very much in a world today in which it is not popular to tell people that their way is not the way to God. But that is very much the message in the Bible.

To fill everyone in, I have also been meeting with Andy for my mentoring program, and we have been working on talking through some of the things that may be problems for us. So far, I think the largest that we have identified is leadership, and integrating new people into the life of the church. We are going to need some way to run our church, to make decisions, and I think everyone needs some access to that. This is probably something we will need to discuss and talk through next time we all get together, but it is also something we all need to be thinking about. It should never just be the pastor making every decision, nor should it be that everyone has to have a vote about whether we will mow the lawn next week, or something trivial like that.

As far as the scouting trip to Denver, where is everyone at on that? We have 5 for sures, and two more slots, we need to know soon who is in and out. We also need to know if we are going to be gone for 4 days or just 3. Robin and I are down with either, and like I said some of the great people from our current church have offered a free place to stay if we want to take them up on it. I'm ok with whatever.

Proverbs 6-8 "Go to the ant, you lazybones; consider its ways and be wise. Without having any chief or officer or ruler, it prepares its food in summer, and gathers its sustenance in harvest." Be praying also that God would send us musicians. We need people able to lead in worship for our gatherings. Please be praying for one another, and for me. It is always welcome. Chris

5 comments:

Brandon Ireton said...

I think people in the leadership positions get so focused on leading and using only their ideas that they forget others have ideas. I think that will be one of biggest obstacles for churches is taking suggestions and ideas from people who are not in leadership positions.

Grant said...

brandon thats a really bad idea... just kidding. irony! i have alot of trouble with the one way thing too. i definately do not think there is any way to reconciliation with god other than jesus, but maybe the confusion is in how many ways can jesus be manifested, and if it is one thing being manifested in multiple ways, is that plural or singular?

Tanner said...

I think that we just need to keep things simple. Easyer said than done i know, but things go so much smoother when we have simplicity. The leadership issue is going to be a big challenge, but i am excited about where God has brought us so far. We are aware this is going to be an issue and we are going to find a solution something I think we kind of missed at Nexus. So we have learned from that. I have to say and have probably already said this, but I am truly stoked about moving to denver and starting a community with all of you. I ready for the experience we are going to have. I like the fact that we are starting a church from the ground up and building it the way God leads us. I am definitely in for the trip to denver. Chris, let me know if there is anything that i can do or get for our trip.

Chris said...

Brandon, I agree, if we get to the point where we are not listening to people, something is wrong. I think this is where it will be difficult though, because sometimes we need to be able to put the brakes on certain things, or at least adapt them. I have always believed it is better to do a few things really well than do a lot of things poorly. But I do agree, we need to be sure that everyone has a voice.

Grant, I'm not really sure what you mean. I agree that the only way to reconciliation to God is through Jesus, but I do think it is up to him to bestow that upon people. I think that is the point of Romans 9 and elsewhere where God says he will have "mercy on whom (he) will have mercy." God can impart Jesus holiness on anyone who he qualifies. Does the person necessarily have to know it is through Jesus? I am not sure. I think some have never heard of him, but I think God still can have grace on them. What about those who have heard but reject Jesus? Well, what if they simply reject a poor caricature of Jesus? Or what if they were hurt by a church and reject that? I think God is the judge. But if you are saying the only way that salvation comes is through Jesus (knowing or unknowing) then that is not really pluralistic. Pluralism says that everyone's beliefs are equally true and that all roads lead to God, so long as the person is devout.

Tanner, I agree with the simplicity issue, we can also benefit from being concise and thoughtful in our organization.

As far as going to Denver, Grant you guys in? Brandon you want us to swing by and pick you up? Tanner, how many days are you wanting to go. I will need to let my people know if and when we are coming.

Brandon Ireton said...

I would say yes, but I will be in Iowa for my last track meet!