Monday, June 30, 2008

August and Everything After

Hey guys, sorry about the delay in updating. I wanted to leave the trip story on a little longer, but then when I planned on updating on Friday, the week caught up to me. Anyway, first thing is first, lets try to have a get-together in August. I have said on facebook that we are good to go for any Friday or Saturday except the 2nd or the 15th. I prefer a Saturday, but if Friday is best for everyone else then that will work. I will have some things to discuss, and we can hopefully make some solid plans at this meeting.

I read "Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places," by Eugene Peterson this past week. It was an excellent book, I would highly recommend it. It gets a bit wordy, and it reads more like a sermon than a book, but I would recommend it nonetheless. It is basically saying that Christ plays in each of us that have trusted and decided to follow him. There are three different ways he looks at how Christ plays, in creation, in history and in community. The first two we can observe but not really participate in. Christ playing in community, however, we can have a direct hand in. Part of our job as a church, I believe, is to help people be a part of a community. That community can help them to become what they were born to be. Peterson states the need like this "Life was at stake- their lives, their souls, their souls in community. People can live correctly and behave rightly and worship politely and still live badly- live anemically, live individualistically self-enclosed lives, live bored and insipid and trivial lives." Hopefully we can help people move beyond trivial lives to lives that matter. Lives that effect the universe, the lives of others. Christ promised we would do greater things than he did, and we can. This is part of my prayer for our church.

I hope you can all join us in August. It should be a good time. Does anyone have anything they need prayer for? I wrote some tentative bylaws/constitution and emailed it to some of you, if you did not get one and would like to look at it, let me know. It is open to change, so don't think that is the only way everything will go. I know it seems a ways off, but we can begin building community here and now, through this blog, through email and facebook. Not ideal, but it is a start. I look forward to eating, drinking and making a difference for the kingdom with all of you. The proverb of the week is Proverbs 18.1 "the one who lives alone is self-indulgent, showing contempt for all who have sound judgment."

No comments: