Monday, November 10, 2008

The Cost of Discipleship

Dietrich Bonhoeffer writes this in his book "...But now he has come, and his call goes forth. Faith can no longer mean sitting still and waiting- they must rise and follow him. The call frees them from all earthly ties, and binds them to Jesus Christ alone. They must burn their boats and plunge into absolute insecurity in order to learn the demands and gift of Christ. Had Levi stayed at his post, Jesus might have been his present help in trouble, but not the Lord of his whole life... before he can believe, the utterly impossible and ethically irresponsible situation on the waves of the sea must be displayed. The road to faith passes through obedience to the call of Jesus. Unless a definite step is demanded, the call vanishes into thin air, and if men imagine that they can follow Jesus without taking this step, they are deluding themselves..."

I was just sitting here at home being bummed. I was finally offered a job, part time teller at Wells Fargo. But it is a job. I will take it and look for something full time. But I was just sitting here being bummed out, feeling dejected. So I decided to read, something I haven't done since getting a new video game (which is awesome by the way). So I picked up "The Cost of Discipleship" by Bonhoeffer. And it really hit the spot. I was bummed, but now I feel affirmed. Robin and I burned our boats. We plunged into the insecurity of the sea. We haven't washed up to shore yet, but I feel more hopeful. God has given us enough for now, and I believe he will continue.

You may be pretty apprehensive. Its normal. It will be hard sometimes. But I promise you, it will help you to learn what it means to be a disciple. Not everyone who is a disciple is called to come to Denver, but if you are called, God will take care of you. I am hopeful. God has shown a pattern of using those who throw caution to the wind and follow his leading. I see a lot of you that are doing that already. You are moving to a state where you only know Robin and I. You are coming to a church that does not exist yet. You are staking part of your life on the dream that we can make a church that is not perfect, but one that tries to be perfectible. I am so grateful to have people like you coming to join us soon. I am excited for the kind of church we can make together. I believe it will be hard, but a long time from now, we will all look back with a certain pride and know that God used us because we burned our boats, and cast ourselves into the sea, and into the hands of God.

What can I pray for you for this week? I applied for a job at Denver Rescue Mission. It is full time, and it will probably not pay well. But I would love it.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I find that it is the bold, outright, black and white statements like Bonhoeffer's that get me off my butt and moving most often. And Chris, I too, feel affirmed after reading this blog. I'm excited to take the leap and finally get up there. But I must learn to be patient and learn the lessons that God has for me here.

Oooh, this week... I have a vacation day on Friday, that will be splendid. But overall, there have been some very interesting things present themselves in my life lately and I'm not sure what the Lord intends to do with them. I'm still trying to work out my feelings toward them in my heart and there are good days and also bad ones. So, for me, just pray that I will be patient for the Lord to reveal His purposes and in that time have a teachable heart that is willing to endure some suffering to mold a me that more closely reflects Christ.

I still pray for you and Robin all the time, for your jobs and for the ministry that you are already beginning to do there. I cannot wait to join you.