Sunday, October 26, 2008

Enough

Robin and I have started going to Einstein Brothers every Sunday morning for a breakfast of bagels. We really love our new little tradition. As we were there today, Robin was telling me about a book she is reading. The short of it is, its about a guy that is working really hard to provide for people who are very poor in the world. Sometimes he will do a presentation and only three people will come, but one will provide enough money to continue his work.

As she was telling me about this, I had to think about our current situation. Robin and I are unemployed, and looking hard for jobs. We have enough money to live on for awhile, but we are still a little worried at times. But I just couldn't help but think about how God provides for the birds and the rest of his creation. He doesn't give them enough to live on for weeks or months or years, he gives them enough for today. God doesn't promise we won't ever worry or think we might not make it, he promises that we will have enough for today. And he has more than provided for us today. I hope we both get jobs this week, but if we don't we have to continue to believe that God knows what he is doing.

I want to write this now, so that when you guys move here you will know I felt the same. I want to give you a little preview of some of the thoughts I think most of us will probably have when we move. You will feel a little isolated. You will realize that your friends and family are a now a long way away. You will think about all the connections you have in Texas that could have gotten you a job in a week or two. You will be sad to leave home. You will be excited to start something new. I have gone back and forth between knowing God would provide soon, to being angry with him for not providing yet. I ask if God brought us here just to drop us sometimes.

Here is the thing about most of those emotions, I think they are pretty normal. I also think that most things worth doing are not easy. I look back to college and remember how hard it was to go to a school 300 miles from home when I knew no one. But after it was over, I met my wife, met some great friends, and met most of you. Without that difficulty, I would be very comfortable living in OKC and living as the same person I was all through highschool. I think seminary was similar. Neither was enjoyable right away, but in the end I was so much better because of it. I think it will be the same here in Denver.

I think there are several reasons God puts us through this. He wants us to grow and to change, and if we stay comfortable that will not happen. God wants us to trust him, and that is hard to do when our wallets and bellys are overflowing. God wants us to sacrifice for him, and that is hard to do when we keep everything for ourselves. I hope this post does a couple things, I hope it gets you to think through what ways God needs to challenge you, what ways you may need to change as you prepare for this journey. I hope it can also encourage you that we feel the same emotions you all probably are.

I really think there were some great comments on the last post. Let me add a little bit about what I think. I think it should be something that is part of everything we do. It can't be programs, but I think it can be disciplines. The first time you invite a stranger from church to eat lunch or dinner with you afterword, it can be scary. The twentieth time in a row, it is habit. I think including new people can be a habit for us, and I hope it is. I think the fact that we will all be kind of strangers in Denver for awhile will reinforce to us the need to help strangers be made at home. Grant, I agree about Rochelle, remind me of that when we start doing core training stuff, because I think we really need to focus on that. Pray for us guys, we need some jobs. I found one that I think I would love, though the pay is not great. I will tell you more about it next week. Please share your thoughts on all this, the comments remind me that you guys are here.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Ooooh... bagels. Everytime I eat a bagel I think about that little place we went to when were there and how that was the best bagel I had ever tasted and can't wait till I live there and can have one whenever I want.

Chris, these were some good words. And thank you for sharing, it is encouraging to know that we aren't alone in all the emotions that we are/will be feeling. You know, people always quote that scripture about God providing for the birds and while it is greatly comforting to me, I never thought about it in the way you just described. He gives them just enough for today. That changes my perspective and hopefully I will be able to trust the Lord for that. Just today I went to the grocery store and was having a hard time buying what I needed to make it to the next payday. But I needn't worry. God will provide what I need for today and the next two weeks are in His hands.

I think often we get into a place where we are comfortable and forget that God has better things for us. It is hard for me to think about leaving my friends and family here and doing new things. Being purposeful about meeting new people and drawing them in to Refuge really scares me cause I don't do well when I meet new people. But like you said, it will be hard for awhile, maybe a really long time, but when I look back, it will all be worth it and I will be able to see where God was working when I couldn't before. It's something to look forward to.

Anonymous said...

just like bethany, this one really encouraged me! i feel like the emotions i am already going through are validated, i feel better prepared for what to expect emotionally and having you all there "blazing a trail" for us is a huge comfort!

i also think that us being new and uncomfortable in a new place will give us important perspective on how it feels to visit a new church, especially one as tightly knit as refuge hopes to be, and will make us more sensitive as to how to make people feel genuinely welcome, and not like we're trying to sell them something. but i love what you said about habit. the more we reach out to people we don't know, the easier it'll be, especially as we see those people get involved and experience change. i'm prayin for you and robin and the job hunt!