Friday, February 29, 2008

What is a disciple?

I am taking a class now called "Discipleship in the New Testament" we talk about... thats right, discipleship. Right now we are walking through the book of Mark and looking at what was meant by discipleship there. It is really pretty amazing stuff.

Today we were talking about what it really means to follow Jesus, surprise surprise, and we came to the place where Jesus begins telling his disciples about what is going to happen to him. They, of course, mention that his talk is not becoming of a Messiah, so he should cut it out. Then he mentions again, that he must be crucified, and Peter rebukes him. Why were the disciples so upset by Jesus talking this way?

I think it is because they understood something that we often times do not. They understood that if this is how their Messiah would be treated, then they, if they continued to follow him, must also give up their lives. That was just not something they really were all about at the moment.

The gospels are so great to read because there is always someone you can identify with. The disciples are idiots, they don't want Jesus to be crucified because they don't want to pick up their own cross. We are idiots because we just want Jesus' crucifixion to stay in 30 AD. If Jesus is the one we follow, we must be willing to give up our lives. Let me encourage you all, moving to Denver, moving away from loved ones and giving up secure jobs, towns where you know your way around, places where everybody knows your name will be difficult. But, if you are called to do this thing, God will be faithful. This is the path we walk, the way of the cross. I think in our culture it is much more subtle. We will not be persecuted, but we may be broke for awhile. We will not be crucified, but we may be lonely. We will not be made to stand trial, but we may suffer through trials.
For you, taking up your cross may mean not coming to Denver, I don't know. I hope very much that you are listening, struggling, and talking with God though. Dr. Gloer is fond of saying, when driving at night, he can't see all the way to Dallas, but he can see as far as his headlights go, and that is enough. God may not have made it all clear yet, but again, pray. I am praying for you, mostly that you will all come, but also that God would guide you. What do you need prayer for now? What part of taking up your cross scares you right now? How can we help?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good words. There is a song we sing at church that I looove and one line hit me at a time when I was thinking about Denver and all that scares me about it and all the might be difficult. The line says, "Rid me of myself, I belong to You." Sometimes (okay, alot) I forget that I am not my own. I belong to Jesus and so where He calls, I go. To me, it's pretty black and white. And so, though there may be alot that can still scare me, I know that because I am His, taking up my cross is more than worth anything I may go through. It's a comforting thought.

Tyler Malone said...

Moving out of state is a cross for me. I never really think ahead the most I do is when I wake up and think of lunch and how delicious it's going to be.Planning and seeing how time has gone by is terrifying too.

Since Chris and I first talked about this I've had to change into a completely different person, and now sometimes I think of how much more I'll have to change in order to be the man who God wishes me to be.